Monday, February 16, 2015

Tristan and Isuelt

I put up a short review of Joseph Bédier's The Romance of Tristan and Iseult on a website I write book reviews for, but my original catalyst was our discussion of the legend during the last couple of sessions. Leslie filled us in on Wagner's take on the story (among other things, she told us that Wagner was  not too interested in the power of the love potion). Joyce knew this opera well, but he was also familiar with Bédier's retelling. I really enjoyed reading Bédier's version (in English, not his original French), and of course I hope it will help me understand what Joyce was up to just that wee bit more...


In any case, you can find my review at Escape Into Life. I put up a more current cover there, but this is the edition I actually read:






:

No comments:

Post a Comment